I Workshop pre-IETF
The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is an international community interested in fulfilling the mission of defining standards that impact the design, use and management of Internet resources [RFC3935 ( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3935.txt )]. The process of establishing standards for the Internet is long, complex and requires active participation, particularly of students and researchers. There are many people around the world actively working on it, however there is a growing need for more fresh participation.
The attendance from Latin America has been very low, as many potential targeted participants do not know about the IETF or were not motivated to do so. A group of volunteers emerged from the “IETF – LAC list” to build this Workshop, aiming to increase Latin American presence in IETF processes. Besides outreaching about IETF, it is important to provide an environment that allows our technicians, students and researchers to show their skills, in advance of any IETF meeting.
The papers presented at the workshop will be adapted or supplemented if necessary, and forwarded to the IETF, with effective support (by the Committee Pos Workshop) to increase Latin American participation.
- Full and Short Paper Submission: June 2
- Notification to the authors: June 21
- Final version: July 14
- Workshop: July 30
The full-day event will consist of technical sessions with selected paper presentations and invited panels, lectures and workshops. Technical sessions have presentations based on technical papers (full papers) and extended abstracts (position papers) written in Espanish, Portuguese or English. They must follow the format defined in the standard from the Brazilian Computing Society, available in http://www.sbc.org.br/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=195&task=view.download&catid=32&cid=38, up to 15 or 6 pages and uploaded via JEMS: https://submissoes.sbc.org.br/chair.cgi?c=2018.
For CSBC 2014 attendees, there will be a daily group discussion to address additional topics, followed in the list IETF LAC (which subscription is free - https://mail.lacnic.net/mailman/listinfo/ietf-lac.
Topics of Interest
Topics of interest for WPIETF LAC 2014 include a discussion (original or not) that fit in eight areas of interest to the IETF as described below and detailed in several pages of the IETF website (http://www.ietf.org), in particular on page http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/.
- Area 1. Applications: Protocols reaching users programs such as email and Web
- Area 2. General: IETF processes and related working groups processes that do not fit into any of the available areas.
- Area 3. Internet: The different ways to IP routing and DNS management.
- Area 4. Operations and Management : Operational aspects monitoring and network configuration.
- Area 5. Real-time applications and infrastructure : Interpersonal communications sensitive to delays.
- Area 6. Routing : Routing packets to their destination.
- Area 7. Security : Authentication and privacy.
- Area 8. Transport: Special services for special packages.